Thursday 22 January 2015

SPOJ: GAME OF LINES

                                 

3184. Game of Lines

Problem code: LINES

Link to problem: http://www.spoj.com/problems/LINES/

SOLUTION: find number of all different slopes possible.
All slopes:
can be found in O(n^2) time by considering all possible combinations.
Different slopes:
How to remove or detect duplicate value of slopes?
STL library class set is the data structure which should be used as it contains only unique keys.Map can also be used but set will serve our purpose better.
Slopes:
Slopes can be stored in set in two ways.
1) double slope, but  can be a possible source of WA (wrong answer) for various reasons.
2) int mx=(x2-x1) , my=(y2-y1); 
    m=gcd(mx,my);
    mx/=m; my/=m;
    now pair(mx,my) can be inserted into the set. 

SOURCE CODE:


#include<stdio.h>
#include<map>
#include<set>
#include<algorithm>
#include<iostream>
#include<limits.h>
using namespace std;

int gcd(int m,int n)
{
if(m==0)return n;
return gcd(n%m,m);
}

int main()
{
int n;
scanf("%d",&n);
while(n!=0)
{
set<pair<int,int> > mp;
int i,x[n],y[n],j;
for(i=0;i<n;i++)
   scanf("%d %d",&x[i],&y[i]);
 int mx,my,m;
for(i=0;i<n;i++)
 {
  for(j=i+1;j<n;j++)
  {
   my=(y[j]-y[i]);
   mx=(x[j]-x[i ]);
   m=gcd(mx,my);
   if(m!=0){
  my/=m;mx/=m;
  if(mx<0)
  {mx*=-1;my*=-1;}
  }
  mp.insert(make_pair(mx,my));
  }
}
  printf("%d\n",mp.size());
  scanf("%d",&n);
}

return 0;}

3 comments:

  1. What may be possible reasons for wa while using double, can you pls explain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precision issues. Suppose you get a line with slope 1/3=0.3333333 and you insert it in a set. When you get another line with the same slope and you have to search for it in the set. The search might turn out to be false due to precision issues.

      Delete
  2. I'm using same approach. but getting WA.
    Cant seem to figure out test case.
    can anyone please help: https://ideone.com/SmfLib

    ReplyDelete